Friday, March 23, 2007

Discover Magazine Article

I admit. Discover magazine is one of my favorites!
It makes me think.
It makes me ponder and ponder and ponder.
It makes me talk to my husband about topics that I don't think about living my ordinary day.

If you feel like a breath of fresh air, buy the latest Discover Magazine that's got Autism featured on the cover. No matter what, you gotta love that.

Even better, it's got a very readable take on the non-gene side of Autism. The gut and the immune system. Not new news for most of us, but let's think of the American public - they only read about the epidemic and the genes. To this we should celebrate, even when Discover is a male skewed mag.

Autism: It’s Not Just in the Head

Here's the headline:
The devastating derangements of autism also show up in the gut and in the immune system. That unexpected discovery is sparking new treatments that target the body in addition to the brain.

On other notes:
Picking up our first hybrid tomorrow afternoon! We are lucky we can afford to have one.
Worry List number one: Leo's Parent/Teacher Conference NEXT Friday. Stay tuned. I'm freaked, but not as freaked as last time since I know what I'm workin' with.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Thanks for sharing the article - so many of the mainstream magazine articles on autism are unreadable.

I was looking for a good excuse to stay up even later on this Friday night, reading this article seems like a good one!

Laura said...

I loved the article, too! It was such a breath of fresh air to read something positive about autism in a relatively mainstream magazine. And the rest of the mag was interesting, too. May have to get myself a subscription. Probably more brain stimulating than "Redbook" and "Parents". ;)

Laura said...

Oh yeah, congrats on your hybrid, too! We're doing the biodiesel thing, but I'd love to have a hybrid in the future when my car dies. Not likely to happen anytime soon, as it's still going strong with over 100,000 miles.

AshleyLeo said...

I remember reading, Laura, about your diesel. I didn't know much about it, so I read up on it. Thanks!

Ironically, Discover Mag was one of those pleasures I had to give up while we were paying for Leo's full-time program. Every little savings helps, right? And now, that magazine is featuring what caused me to stop my subscription years ago.

We are finally in a place where I can sign up again, thankfully! Going back to work really helps.