Friday, February 09, 2007

CDC numbers for Autism 1 in 150

February 9, 2007

Autism More Prevalent Than Estimated
New CDC Data Find
1 in 150 Children Have
Forms of the Disorder
By JENNIFER CORBETT DOOREN
February 9, 2007; Page B4

WASHINGTON -- The first large study of autism rates among U.S. children showed about one in 150 have the disorder, a higher rate than previous estimates.

The new data on autism spectrum disorders, which include autism, Asperger syndrome and pervasive developmental disorders, is the first set of data from a network set up by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta to track the prevalence of autism, the rates of which appeared to be increasing based on the number of parents seeking services for their children.

The CDC's research looked at medical and school records of children who were 8 years old in 2000 or 2002 to determine whether they had been diagnosed with autism and when. Autism is characterized as impairments in social interaction, communication and unusual behavior and interests. The cause of the disorder isn't known, and there is no cure, although medication and therapy can improve symptoms.
For full WSJ article, click here.




This study says it includes PDDs and Aspergers, a first. But not the entire spectrum. I'd love to see ADD, ADHD, and other sister disorders included to get a real picture of what the typical American classroom looks like.

Funny, Leo has never been counted before since his actual diagnosis is PDD-NOS. It used to aggravate me so much that one had to conform to a certain criteria in order to be taken seriously. I'm hoping other researchers in the future will carefully address the whole of an issue, rather than a part, if they can.

1 in 150? How about 1 in 79 for boys in Utah? How about 1 in 6 babies will have a developmental disorder or delay?

2 comments:

Laura said...

Isn't it scary? Having a child with autism, I tend to know lots of people with kids with autism, but I'm also watching the kids of my "NT" friends and family. It seems highly statistically possible that there will be more overlap between people I know "in the real world" and friends "in the autism world" in the future. I have two friends who live nearby from "before Autism" whose kids are on the spectrum, and know another from an early play group I was in whose daughter has autism. So, out of our baby play group of 7 kids, 3 of them have autism! That makes the 150 seems highly believable to me, but no less shocking that there can be that many kids effected and there hasn't been a real move from the CDC to get to the causes.

AshleyLeo said...

I know, pretty amazing. Your play group sounds very close to my early days BA. Take a look at my stats at the bottom of my homepage, http://www.hiddenrecovery.com, I've covered play groups, preschool, and elementary school figures just for us! And like you said, the overlap is here to stay and will become more common.

Oh, and BTW it's my belief the CDC does know the causes, but economics and politics control the course.