Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Coming Out Of P.A.N.D.A.S. Season

So we just got back from a week away in Arizona. I looked forward to the break, but even more so to see if Sydney's facial tics would be better in a hot, dry climate. My regiment or the fact that it is getting more spring-like seemed to be helping, but the tics were still present. I was nervous trying my new regiment off-site since it's a homeopathic protocol that requires lots of clean water, cups, etc. Sydney's symptoms improved a small amount, then got significantly better when we came back to the east coast. I am just happy that she's so much better and that her tics are barely present. I also got validation from a pediatrician friend that western medicine doesn't recommend medication for these type of tics, as they see them eventually go away. They only recommend it for classic Tourettes.

Leo has a blink here or there, but that's about it from him. After years of being afraid, I finally decided to revisit a metal detox. We had done everything else, but metals still persist although much better. I know in my heart that these detoxes are the only way I can minimize toxic overload. It sucks, since I must continue to do these as prevention. That's all I need, another major neurological disorder to deal with. So whatever I can do to prevent it and maximize health as much as I can, so be it. Their doctor has no advice, but to monitor it.

So this week we started. No effect so far, the usual response for Leo. It takes him about a week. I'm also hopeful that the groundwork we've laid the past two years will be uneventual with the metals. Wish me luck, if anyone is out there listening. I am also planning on doing it once I am over a virus that is still with me.

On other topics, we had an interesting reminder of how things used to be while on vacation. Leo and Sydney swam about 4 to 5 hours every day for the whole week. On our last day, Leo was drying off and my DH noticed a puddle of red water undereath him. We both jumped up and begin questioning Leo while looking for a cut. He didn't feel a thing! I quickly got irritated with Leo (which I regret) since he wasn't helpful and for a moment I blamed him for the situation. This is my blog, so I can be honest! Anyway, we quickly found the culprit, a blister that burst under his big toe. All of his toes were red and raw from all the getting in and out of the pool. Leo was amazing and helpful, and even didn't whine about having to wear a Hello Kitty bandaid, the only thing I had. Of course I had bandaids, kleenex. Mom artillary.

Shades of years of major hyposensitivity in his calves, feet, arms, face, and hands. Leo used to be deathly afraid of swimming, had to wear weights on his calves to train his mind to feel them in the water. He was afraid of drowning, and hated splashing and getting his head wet (hypersensitiviy in his eyes). He also feared going upside down.

This week, I saw him go upside down, head first down the water slide with 4 other boys his age following behind him. His idea. I saw him play football on the grass with these same boys, initiating what to do next. He even skipped snack with no consequence one afternoon, his hypoglycemia under control. Leo also decided to join me and Sydney for a trail ride. His idea. He narrated out loud as he does, his initial fear and discomfort with the movement, the unpredictability of it. The flies, the glaring sun, all the chatting, taking it all in stride, dealing with all that input at once. Hypo and hyper sensitive still perhaps, but it doesn't stop him, as Artemisia says. I am forever in awe and amazed by Leo's determination and strength.

No comments: