Friday, July 28, 2006

Diets and Smoothies

Almost every day I make "smoothies" for the kids and myself. They vary day-to-day, but the base is organic frozen blueberries and strawberries along with a squirt of honey, and a handful of shredded coconut. Sometimes I add an unedible banana (any skin with a hint of brown), mango, peach, and any uneaten pieces of pear or apple from breakfast.

Naturally this is the perfect solution for supplements. I pour just a small amount to mix with enzymes and other vitamins. Once they finish up their "enzyme smoothie", they get to have "regular smoothie".

When Dad is home, he'll join in the fun - taking his "Men's Multivitamin" from Trader Joes (argh), and his Cod Liver pills (no one but me likes fish, sheesh!).

Today, I poured Dad his ration (it's summer Friday, afterall), and he politely declined because he's put himself back on the South Beach Diet, for the 3rd run. Fruit's not aloud for the first 2 weeks. Leo and Sydney poke fun at the amounts of brown rice, chicken, and salad he eats.

After several attempts by all of us to coax Dad into drinking his portion, Leo replied "I hate South Beach, I really do." What is he, 25?

No comments: